The housing market is currently going through a bit of a slump. Prices have been slightly down for a while now and many homeowners aren’t able to sell their homes as they’d like. This seems to be affecting the fitness industry, as people are now choosing to stay home instead of heading out to the gym or trying out exercise equipment in their own homes. That’s why we’ve decided to make a public service announcement and give you, your family, and friends the lowdown on exercise at home!
5 Tips to Stay Fit at Home in 2022
1. Have a look around your house for any equipment that you already own. You may be pleasantly surprised by what you find lurking in the cupboard under the stairs: did you know that an old soccer ball will make an excellent skipping rope? And that boogie board with the picture of a wave on it can be used as a balance board? You’ll also find that you probably already have some dumbbells and resistance bands in the house, so check behind those seasonal decorations for starters!
2. Taking advantage of workout videos is another way to stay fit at home. You could find a workout video from the 1980s and it would still be fully capable of giving you an excellent 20-minute cardio session. I just recently found a VHS tape of aerobics for beginners in my cupboard, and even though it was recorded through a fuzzy screen and has terrible quality, I still managed to get a great sweaty workout from it!
3. Don’t forget about your pets! Cats can be used as stretchy resistance bands, simply by tying them up to something sturdy with some thread or yarn. Your dog will love fetching tennis balls out in the yard as well as walking back and forth between your feet as you jog on the spot. Dogs are also excellent swimmers if you have access to a pool!
4. You may have noticed that throughout this article I keep mentioning jogging on the spot. This is because it’s one of the best workouts you can do at home, and you don’t need any equipment or anyone else to make it happen! It’s ideal for when your daily schedule only has an hour free in it (get up 30 minutes earlier if necessary), and can be done anywhere with no preparation needed. Make sure you warm up before starting though and cool down afterward by taking a few deep breaths and doing some gentle stretches. Jog in place until your heart is pounding hard enough that you feel like your lungs might burst (it doesn’t take long!) and do some light exercises and stretches afterward to cool off and avoid injury.
5. Seeing as we’re on the subject of staying active, why not try doing some gardening at home? It’s a great way to stay fit and is also therapeutic too! It doesn’t have to be anything extreme if you don’t want it to be either: simply taking your time with weeding or planting something new will help get your heart pumping, while also letting you enjoy being outside for a little while longer. Remember that even small efforts add up in terms of exercise, so do what you can whenever you can!
If these 5 tips haven’t encouraged you enough to show some love for exercising at home, then perhaps just one more sip from this enchanted might spark some additional motivation within you. It’s an elixir that makes you feel like working out, no matter how much time or effort it requires, and will even make you enjoy it! It’s known by many names in many different countries, but here we’ll call it a “rewarding workout elixir”. I think you’ll find it to be a very nice beverage.
Good luck, and remember: exercise is a gift that keeps on giving!